Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct - Brückenwind e.V.
Code of Ethics and Conduct for Members & Representatives of the Association
Our Code of Ethics and Conduct sets out the principles and standards that define the fundamental way in which Brückenwind e.V. works together. All representatives, employees and members of the association are expected to adhere to the rules of conduct listed here during their engagement or collaboration with Brückenwind e.V.
The following is an extract from our Code of Conduct:
Brückenwind is guided by the following core values and principles:
- As an association, we are first and foremost subject to the basic principles of non-profit status. This means that our activities are always for the common good and are not organised for self-interest or profit. Donations and funding from sponsoring memberships are used exclusively for non-profit purposes.
- We strive to make our work as accessible as possible and to reach out to all sectors of society. The perspectives and access barriers of structurally disadvantaged groups must be explicitly taken into account. Our work is therefore fundamentally designed to minimise barriers and be accessible to all members of society, regardless of socio-economic status, level of education, age, health, religious affiliation, language skills, etc.
- Our association stands for a society that is fundamentally free from discrimination. In other words, we stand against all forms of group-based misanthropy. We are concerned with the complex dynamics of violence and discrimination in our society and want to address and combat these as part of our strategic work. We are aware that, as part of society, we cannot create a completely safe space within the historically, socially and politically entrenched power structures in which these forms of violence do not play a role. However, we can recognise and address them. Accordingly, we make it a fundamental requirement of our teamwork to create an environment that is as free from discrimination as possible in view of these aspects and to always treat each other and our fellow human beings equally and with respect. In our public work, we also want to communicate this claim of non-discrimination to our fellow human beings.
- With a fundamental focus on the postcolonial dimensions of international volunteering and a critique of established phenomena such as white saviourism and voluntourism, we take a political position that seeks to problematise and combat structural racism and Europe's historically rooted colonial legacy. The basic points of criticism and demands contained in this position are formulated under "Brückenwind's Critical Perspective". In general, this minimum consensus should be represented by all representatives and members of Brückenwind and should also be represented to the public.
- In addition to these agreed universal principles, political, ideological and religious (value) neutrality applies to all members and representatives in our collaboration.
- Brückenwind commits itself to comply with the relevant national and international laws and to respect the authority of the competent institutions of the host country. Brückenwind also undertakes to exercise due diligence in the recruitment of members and volunteers. Brückenwind does not tolerate its staff and volunteers violating applicable law or the ethical standards described above.